Monday, November 9, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

Some songs, no matter how terrible, refuse to leave my cousciousness. I am sure most of you have the same dilemna. A collection of horrible tracks that for some reason or another hold a special place in your musical past. Perhaps it was a song you did an airband to as a young, pimpled teenager. Maybe it was a bad 80's love ballad resonating in the background as you dove in for your first kiss in the back of your rusted Chevette. Some people call them "nostalgic tunes", personally I call them "rubbish". Nevertheless, I thought it would be entertaining to make a new weekly post called "Guilty Pleasures", an opportunity to post some of my favourites from the past that I wouldn't be caught dead playing today. I am starting off with this dance track by Daisy Dee called "Crazy". I had a fleeting love for Euro dance and freestyle music in the early 90's and for some reason this song stuck out as a great track. I was digging through some old vinyl this weekend and stumbled across this forgotten slab of wax. After a quick trip down memory lane something came over me - this song sucks! I can appreciate how it made me move almost 20 years ago, but I wouldn't dare play it now(nor would I want to). I must say the resulting laughter made the endeavor worthwhile nevertheless and I can't deny my musical past, as checkered as it may be. I am definitely looking forward to hitting you up with more "Guilty Pleasures" in the future. Feel free to leave comments/suggestions.

No comments: